Welcome to the state capital of Texas, the city of Austin! Placed along the Colorado River, Austin is known as one of the top ten pet-friendly cities in the United States.
The love of art, culture, and music is what the area is popular for, along with the shopping and great food, there is always something to set your eyes on while enjoying the energetic atmosphere of downtown.
The city has a warm, inviting climate no matter what time of year it is, and exercise is a common practice in the healthy town.
Activities and Sites
- Sten and Lex Mural: enjoy a walk with your furry pal along the large Sten and Lex mural wall that is located across from the historical Seaholm power plant.
- Zilker Botanical Gardens: take a stroll through the Zilker Botanical Gardens, located at 2100 Barton Spring Road while enjoying some history from the past.
- South Congress Avenue: if shopping is on your mind, then meander down to the shops on South Congress Avenue where they will welcome Fido to stay at your side in most of the stores.
As with all the great pet-friendly cities we have enjoyed so far, food is always a top priority on a busy day of exercise and shopping! Here are some suggestions:
- Rudy’s BBQ: If you enjoy the art of Austin, you will enjoy the atmosphere of the all-in-one Rudy’s BBQ located at 2451 S. Capital of Texas Hwy. At Rudy’s, you can fuel up your car and your tummy at the same time! When both your car, and your tummy are full, you can enjoy browsing through the grocery store before you leave. Not only will you consume some of the best and meatiest barbecue around, but you can also enjoy the taste of delicious potato salad, cream corn, and banana pudding. Fido can enjoy a fresh bowl of water while he lays at your feet on the outdoor patio.
- Red’s Porch: If you are hankering to try some smoked chicken corn chowder, hop down to 3508 S. Lamar Blvd. and enjoy the great taste from Red’s Porch. Maybe you would like to try some of Red’s fried avocado tacos or some good ole’ pot roast. Whatever you are craving, Fido is welcome to dine with you outdoors on the first-floor.
- Spider House: If you are in Austin for work, feel free to use the complementary wi-fi offered at the Spider House. Work late until 2 am while enjoying some delicious hibiscus tea, or unwind with some of the best local beers. A full bar is in operation alongside some great snacks, tacos, pita pizzas, and desserts. The great staff at Spider House is always happy to serve you and your furry companion on the large, shaded patio located at 2908 Fruth Street.
There are numerous amounts of food trucks throughout the town to enjoy as well, and many of the various store clerks will offer water to your best friend. Don’t be surprised if an employee stops to offer to sit with your pet while you go into a shop that doesn’t allow Fido to go inside with you.
If these restaurants don’t entice you, you will be sure to find something you will enjoy at any one of the 169 dog-friendly restaurants located throughout Austin.
Give Fido some time to relax and exercise at one of the twelve off leash areas in Austin. We’ll mention just a few:
- Mary Moore Searight Metro Park: Fido can always find a friend to play with at the Mary Moore Searight Metro Park on W. Slaughter Lane, or maybe a play date with a doggie friend at the West Austin Park on 10th Street will make your pal happy.
- The Davis White Northeast District Park on Crystalbrook Drive is the perfect treat, or
- maybe the Onion Creek District Park on Onion Creek Drive will be a pleasure.
No matter which one you choose, there will always be plenty of pleasant scenery accompanied with shade trees, and some even offer lakes for your pal to cool off.
At the end of the day, the two of you will be exhausted so you will need a comfortable place to lay your head.
There are numerous dog-friendly places to enjoy, including
- The Staybridge Suites Austin Arboretum at 10201 Stonelake Blvd.,
- The Renaissance Austin Hotel at 9271 Arboretum Blvd., or
- The LaQuninta Inn Austin Highland Mall located at 5812 Hwy 35N.
- If Fido is along with you on business, the two of you will enjoy your home away from home at Extended Stay America Austin Southwest, situated at 5100 US Hwy 290W.
As you can see, you will never have down time in Austin, and Fido can enjoy his time with you in many of the locations.
As with every dog friendly destination, there are leash laws, and Austin is no different. You will want to be sure you are familiar with the “doggie” rules and laws throughout the town. Please remember to always clean up after your dog, and use the proper receptacles for your dog’s waste.